Friday, 2 December 2016

Chronicle of a Mad NaNoWriMo Writer



November spells disaster like no other month. It's Nanowrimo time, and that's all that needs to be said. If you don't know what it is, Nanowrimo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It basically consists on writing a 50000 word long novel starting November 1, and finishing November 30 if you want to win.

I had been thinking on writing my own book since 2003 or 2004, and had done a bit of world building over the years. I felt terribly shy when I saw a blank sheet of paper, so I didn`t start writing a novel till 2008. I wrote occasionally, achieving a quite boring ,35k long draft, but kept with my worldbuilding.

Then magic occurred when I discovered Nanowrimo and decided to participate. During October 2015 I did a 17k warm up, and then did Nano during November. I won Nanowrimo. I finished my novel. I've called it Unknown Island for the time being. It's not a terribly original title, but it's enough for me. I still don't know how I am going to edit this, but the first draft seems promising. It's a fantasy mash up of my favourite books plus a little bit of this and that. But you know what? I like it and that should be enough.


But then the problem was burnout. I didn't want to write anymore, I felt as if I wouldn't have any new book ideas for a long time.

And then September 2016 came, and with it the starting worries of "I want to participate in Nanowrimo again, but what am I going to write?" I decided I could do a sequel to Unknown Island, and not to worry till October 1. Then I would try and start to plan my novel .This was quite new to me, but I had been reading blogs on writing for a year now, and then on Oct 2 I had this wonderful idea. I was going to write a crime or mystery novel but in a fantasy setting, and it would be a bit different from the previous book. Like different countries in a fantasy world. It worked and it took me less effort to complete this year's Nano goal during November. I wrote 50536 words and titled the draft "Artist's Life", after a piece of music written by Strauss.


Now I have a weird duology of book drafts that are screaming to be edited. I don't know how I'll do this, or if I will ever publish them. I'm quite shy about it at the moment. But this is a beginning, anyway!

Have you ever participated in Nanowrimo? What are your current writing projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment